Friday 6 September 2013

Getting Started

These are a few of my favorite things.
As this is a blog about the journey of a birding beginner it is only fair to post my early equipment. I wonder if it will change over the years or if these early essentials will continue to be my go to.
I use a the Australian Birds Field Guide by Michael Morcombe. It was one recommended to me so I can not say I have compared it to many others, however I really do like it and find it easy to identify birds by the beautiful drawings and helpful info. It has a great section on nests which is great when looking for nests or looking at a nest with ma and pa on hunting and gathering duty. It is unfortunately to big for me to carry in the field and is kept in my car.
I take with me this same guide on a phone app which I love. The calls feature is especially useful and it is great being able to compare two birds on the same screen.
The large book is one I found at a second hand shop. It is outdated however still has great info. I love Michael Morcombes' beautiful photos and knowing  this is where he started out is inspiring. The Australian Bird Finder has great tips where to best locate species however does not give too much away leaving the reader with the challenge to go out and find the birds themselves. This is really is half the fun anyway isn't it? 
Tracks Scats and other traces is a handy field guide to identifying animals that have left you little clues. I enjoy looking up the bones, droppings and footprints just to see if I can work out the case of the mysterious visitor. It is a great size and also has a handy ruler on the back. I hope to use it for real one day but for now it's just a bit of fun.
I was recently given a pamphlet with the best known birding spots in my area (Lockyer valley region) pictured to the right. I was surprised to see the little and always deserted place I love featured. I had found this place by chance and am addicted to going there. I Can't wait to visit some of the other spots and hope for a chance very soon.
I was a bit spontaneous with my binocular purchase and did not look into it. I chose these because they were the cheapest ones that were recommended for bird watching. They are 10 x 50 LE Australian Geographic. They are very useful although as someone who enjoys taking photos of the birds I am a bit slack with the Bins. you can't photograph something you need binoculars to see ;) They have however done wonders for my identification and adding to my life list so in time I am sure my attitude will change as I grow more content to watch the birds from a distance.

1 comment:

  1. This is great Alys :-) Your tracks and scats book will definately give you a wider ecological perspective which will enhance your birding experience!
    Happy hunting,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete