Thursday 12 September 2013

Where I would rather be

I am sitting in the library procrastinating about an assignment wishing I was back on the Gold Coast enjoying this beautiful day at the beach. I have decided to relive my most recent sneaky GC trip.

I have recently started surfing and birding and surfing don't always mix. If I am in the water I see an albatross fly over or an osprey fishing and I am wishing had bins to identify the albatross (or what I think is one, I am New remember) or my camera to capture the Osprey. For this reason I go for a photo walk before I get in the waster and sus out my favourite subjects.

This morning I was taking some seagull shots when I found my osprey buddy eating a fish too far from me to capture. I got caught up in the subjects I had then when retrieving my board from Sebastians' (my red Honda is called Sebastian) boot I saw her again enjoying a bath close to shore on a deserted part of the beach. One of those moments I wish I had a longer lense as I did disturb her. I am pleased however to have some captured memories.

After sitting on my board for a few hours watching the guys take the few waves around me (not complaining) I saw a pair of sooty oystercatchers chipping away at the limpets having a good old time. They are so fun to watch and their bright orange beaks are like a warning to the immobile crustaceans about to meet their doom. I took way more photos of them than necessary but it is so fun having subjects that are conditioned to annoying people like me ;)

In front of my car a pair of striated pardalotes were perched on the wire fence with food for their babies (similar to previous post.) They we quite worried about me watching and would not feed whilst I was looking at them. I backed off and they disappeared into the dirt bank. I couldn't find the nest and decided to leave as they were very uneasy. The pardalot parents were ok with people very close by however they could tell I was watching them intently.

No comments:

Post a Comment