Wednesday 18 September 2013

The Eyes Have It


Black winged stilts are beautiful. I love them but like many wild birds this love is never  reciprocated. Often I will approach them confidently and they don't seem bothered by me then one will give me a look, make a peeping call and they will all go hangout at the other side of the lake. A place bothersome humans have no access to.

Yesterday three BWS were hanging out at lake Lenore which is small and shallow. When approached they would fly to the other side which is in front of a bird hide. This is the first time for me the birds have been so close to the bird hide. Admittedly when they went back to the first place I herded them back to the bird hide....

Never before have I noticed their beautiful red eyes! Pied birds with red eyes are an ultimate fashion statement. So stunning.

1 comment: