Sunday 1 September 2013

The beginnings of an avian stalker.

I am a wildlife science student who began her degree with no idea about where she would like to be in the future, only that it was to be outside working with animals. Last year I studied studied a course called "Australian Terrestrial Vertebrates," known as ATV. Here I learnt to identify tracks, scats and other traces of wildlife. This means that each week I looked at bones and poo trying to identify what Australian animal it was from. I was one of those children constantly told to put that disgusting object down so naturally I took a liking to this subject. 

One part of the class involved birdwatching. We all borrowed binoculars and bird field guides and met up at the university lakes to identify the species we had seen and write about their behaviors as well as methods of identifying them. This class opened my eyes to the world of birds and since then I have not been able to stop chasing the thrill of observing a different behavior or spotting a new bird. I think my teacher would be surprised and probably happy to know how his lessons have stuck with me (based on my grades from that course ;)). I Still don't know exactly what I want to do in the future but I hope it has something to do with those flying feathered creatures.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment